About Me

My photo
Salt Lake City, UT, United States
To me the thickest of all and what I value most in life is following Jesus Christ. Even being in the thin of discipleship brings me the most joy.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

recent out of the box thoughts

Here are a couple of thoughts I've had based on recent experiences.
  1. My little brother applied for a job. He got an interview. He got a second interview. He told me about it, I did some digging and found out before him that he wasn't getting a third interview, but he was right on the bubble. I told him to call and plead his case. He did. I sent a follow-up email because I have a connection with the hiring manager, who told me he would reconsider. After 4 days had gone by without a word I told my brother to call again. He did and he got a third interview. Someone that I respect once said that the "world will in large measure pay you what it thinks you are worth..." I would add that the world will pay you what you tell it you're worth, and also that the world will give you that with which you diligently seek. Sometimes you can rest on your laurels, but most of the time you have to take what you want.
  2. I am helping form a start-up medical device company called Monitus Medical. Our device detects leaks from accidental injuries that occur during surgery on or near the gastrointestinal tract. We just won an award at the Utah Entrepreneurship Challenge for "Best Technology" and $3000. Turns out the guy who gave us the award had just had surgery on the GI tract a week previous. Sometimes luck becomes a factor in winning. Either way, finding a champion for a product who has an emotional interest can be lucrative. 

5 comments:

  1. Two interesting points. I really like both of them. The first, because you really do have more power than you think you do. People are people, and they respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad you were able to have this experience through your brother, because no one would do that to ryan murri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan Murri, ladies and Gentlemen! (Applause)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, My kids are continually amazing me. Didn't know until now that you had a blog...maybe it's a secret?
    I KNOW that this concept is correct because if you want to be noticed, you have to do something to be noticed and you have to distinguish your self by being relentless and persistent. Brent, of all people should know this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey brother, these are excellent thoughts. I've always subscribed to the motto "take what's yours". Granted, we applied it to dating and getting action while in college, but it directly applies to most everything in life. Often, you need to stand up and take what you know is rightfully yours - be bold and the consequences are typically pleasant.

    ReplyDelete