About Me

My photo
Salt Lake City, UT, United States
To me the thickest of all and what I value most in life is following Jesus Christ. Even being in the thin of discipleship brings me the most joy.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Quest for Opportunity


A few months ago I entered an idea competition at the University of Utah called Tech Titans. If you follow the link you'll notice that #9 says "Inexpensive smoking cessation drug, U." That's my idea. It's actually a pretty cool idea that I'm working on with a professor. While I'm stoked that I got as far as I did, this part of the story has a sad ending. For the first part of the competition I had to submit a 2 page brief on my idea along with a 1 min video clip. The first round of judging put me in the Top-10 out of some 40 submissions, just slipping in at number 10. The second part of the competition included a 10 min presentation in front of 4 judges who were successful entrepreneurs, business professionals and investors. One of the judges scored me 15/100 and said it was the worst presentation he had ever seen in his entire life! Talk about a confidence killer. 


Luckily I'm involved with another project called Monitus Medical, a medical device company making products that detect leaks and perforations that may occur during surgery. For their first product I am working with a team of students to develop a commercial plan and we submitted it to another competition called Opportunity Quest. If you follow this link you'll notice that one of the Top-10 finishers is Monitus Medical after a first round of business plan judging, and if the site ever updates you will notice that Monitus Medical took 2nd place after a second round of presentation based judging.  We won $3,000. It was a good day. Plus I have proven that I'm not the worst presenter in the world, or perhaps I just got lucky.

4 comments:

  1. You still need to take me out to lunch Mr. Big Shot..

    S.J.Vave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations are in order! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the first judge named Simon Cowell?

    ReplyDelete